Are you looking for a friendly dish to enjoy with friends as an appetizer or starter? Here is the Flammekueche.
For the dough:
- 20cl of warm water
- 2 pinches of salt
- 10g of baker's yeast
- 400g of flour
For the filling:
- 150g of smoked bacon
- 4 onions
- 200g of heavy cream
- 200g of cottage cheese
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg
If you need help converting the units : Kitchen Calculator
How to cook a Flammekueche?
1. In a bowl, put a little of warm water and pour the yeast. The yeast will rise in 10 minutes.
2. In the bowl, knead the flour, salt, and yeast with the water. Do not pour all the water: the dough should not be very sticky.
3. Form a ball and cover it with a cloth. Let the dough rest for one hour.
4. Make four small balls with the dough. Roll out the dough very thinly.
5. For the filling: mix the cream and the cottage cheese. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
6. Chop the onions and pre-cook them.
7. Cut the smoked bacon into small pieces (lardons).
8. Cover the dough with the cream-white cheese mixture. Add onions and bacon.
9. Bake in a heated oven (250°C) for 10 to 15 minutes.
Did you know it? Flammekueche is a traditional recipe from Alsace, in the northeast of France. It is a dish that is meant to be friendly because it is shared with several people. In the past, Flammekueche was eaten with a big glass of "Schnapps" which was passed from mouth to mouth around the table...
Design by Monsieur Graphic